View Profile Minimancom

3 Movie Reviews

this is so sad

I really enjoyed the animation
for all the non human characters it looked amazing, like, out of this world good
what really bugged me though was the dialogue. the voice actors were alright but the dialogue wasn't really written all that well in my opinion. with how short these have to be, I get that its tough to fit a lot of character into the time you have but i just didn't feel like the two characters had any personality aside from little quips.
still great though, don't get me wrong. The animation was just incredible. keep up the good work.

Im gonna start with negatives then get into positives

I think overall I find the character designs boring. Maybe this is different for other people, but Im extremely tired of the sort of generic anime style this seems to borrow heavily from. whenever Gen was on screen was on screen I just couldnt stop thinking about how boring he looked, and when Kuro wasnt fighting and I had to look at those doey eyes I found myself honestly a little annoyed, if thats the best way I can put it into words, and wishing It was something a little more fresh and unique (my favorite design was definitely the wolf things Kuro fought in the field mostly cause looking at them didnt make me think of thousands of other shows ive watched or seen in the past, but as something new). Along with the anime influence in the character designs, it also comes up in the plot and dialogue. You could replace Kuros lines with any other shonen protagonist and nobody would notice, and Gen just felt like a mish-mash of sensei/teacher tropes. Im not gonna get into too much else, cause I dont want to make it seem like I disliked this, but to finish, Kuros quest, the presentation of his powers, and the twist with big spooky tiger that you could see coming from a mile away if youve seen any shonen anime ever all fit into the catagory of "this is way too similar to hundreds of anime and kinda distracts from this beautiful animation."

On to positives.
The voice actings pretty good. It seems like the actors worked hard to make the characters feel real. I doubt people are thinking too much about the voice acting though, cause theres one huge aspect that Im sure everyone veiwing knows is good. The animation is incredible. Like, I cant believe this one person pulled off something tons of big studios rarely do. Every action that was supposed to feel powerful felt like it hit like a truck. Even the bits where there were only little 16-bit style sprites looked suprisingly smooth and energetic. Excellent bits of animation are usually something you have to look for in veteran animators works, or in some obscure project that nobody saw from the 90s, but im pleased to say today I had to look no further than the front page of Newgrounds. If im gonna be totally real, aside from being one of the most inspirational things ive ever seen, it just makes me mad. Mad that a tiny team like this made something so great while huge studios with even huger budgets make mediocre slop. And mad that Im not nearly as talented.

Even though the negatives might look bigger than my thoughts on positives, I want to make it clear: this was overall an excellent and inspiring experience.
Good job, Great job. When I have the means I would love to support this project and I would love to see more.

5 Game Reviews

I think this is really fun and has a ton of style but could do with some changes in my opinion. Slightly quicker movement speed would really help especially considering how often you have to redo stages when you move the stone enemies into an incorrect position and cant get them out, or die. Also I think confining the players movement to the grid the stage assets are on (like classic Pokemon for example) would make the experience much cleaner, considering how you cant push stone enemies, walk through single space wide hallways, or even pick up the sword without being lined up perfectly. On the whole though its a good experience with slick art and music, and stimulating puzzles.

Miroko responds:

Yeah I agree with some of your points I think this game has been a great "try out" and there's much to be improved. If we ever make a sequel or a full version we'll try to address those flaws.
Thank you! (:

I had a lot of fun with this one! I would agree though, however, that there is a lack of content in the main game. I think more kingdom and princess's would be excellent, polishing up menus would be nice, and better descriptions for what things do in game (for instance, i had no idea what the wolves did until after I'd beaten the main game and read the description.) I would say that also adding more dragon levels would be cool and add to the feeling of progression. You could possibly have branching paths for what the dragon could become, with different abilities. Overall, it was pretty good start that has lots of potential, with solid art (especially the dragon and the princesses) and a nice feeling of progression!

EDIT: So after reading some other reviews I learned there was a survival mode, which feels much more developed than the main game. Its a shame, seeing as its icon is so small on the main menu its easy to miss and after beating the main game I don't really see a way to access the main menu without refreshing the browser. Using the main campaign as a sort of tutorial and then launching into the survival mode would be a great way of handling things but as it is now there isn't a a very smooth transition, and I'm sure a lot of players missed survival entirely. A real shame, seeing as the frantic pace and increased options makes survival a much more fun experience than the main game.

I dont wanna be rude or anything but this feels extremely slapped together. This game just straight up has assets identical to Shorties Kingdom 2
( https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/713136 ) so honestly just go play that cause it uses the assets a lot better. Again I really dont mean to be rude but if your gonna take things out of an asset library/template maybe mix em up/edit them before publishing the game. This wouldnt be as much of an issue if this wasnt on the the front page but I think the frontpage should be reserved for people who put love and care into their games and thats clearly not the case here.

6 Art Reviews

has a really well done sense of atmosphere and the design is neat but I think the noticable difference in the size of her thighs is really distracting, so maybe get in the habit of flipping your canvas if youre not already doing that.

skullgirls? either way this is really nice

really nice sense of motion
super cute, too

I'm an illustrator that does some rough animation on the side. I'd love to make some sort of comic in the near future and my ultimate goal is to make games. Please feel free to check out my work, and if you're interested, I'd love some commission work.

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!